What Happens To Your Dog When.....

Ever think about what would happen to your dog if you could no longer take care of them do to a severe illness, injury or death? I do, especially when my husband and I travel together.


Daphne 1998 Saumur, France




I did a little browser search about going on vacation and leaving pets behind. None of the articles or websites that I found covered and important factor – what happens to your pet if you and your spouse were to die while away traveling?


My husband and I don’t often travel together and it’s been a very long time that we’ve been on a vacation without the dogs. But there are times were we do travel together and that’s when I activate my “Buddy System/Will”.


I have three to four contacts that I send my information to. Two to three dog savvy trainers/petsitter that know the dogs and one close friend (sometimes not living in the same state). I leave the following information with my petsitter or boarding facility. I let them know our travel plans, flight details, our veterinarian’s information and emergency contacts. I haven’t as yet written out a detailed plan on what I would like to have happen to my fur kids if we were no longer around. That will be my next project. I trust my dog friends to make the best decisions for my dogs at this time but I should really put my wishes on paper. That will reduce the burden on my friends and protect my dogs from being sent to a shelter or euthanized. I should also look into setting up a veterinary release type of document releasing care.


Setting up a Pet Trust will ensure that your dog(s) will be cared for in the manner that you outline and desire.


Pet Information Profile Document
This should contain the following information:
- current photo of the pet
- microchip information
- pet license information
- pet’s weight, sex and if altered, breed
- any noticeable distinct markings
- feeding program
- behavioral issues
- verbal and nonverbal commands that the dog(s) are fluent in
- list dog(s) daily routine – sleeping area, crate trained, allowed on furniture
- include if your dog(s) has any issues with unfamiliar people, children or other animals
- list dog(s) health history and attach relevant veterinary records
- chronic health conditions, allergies
- list all medications including preventative parasite control
- Include veterinary information
- include detailed information for yourself
- include detailed information on your dog’s guardian
- include your Estate Executor information
- Dog’s Trustee’s information
- indicated where a copy of your dog trust can be found
- a way to monitor the caretakers services / Pet Panel
- how to dispose of the dog(s) remains if it comes to that


Other things to consider setting up:
- designating caretakers/guardians
- providing funds for pet care
- establishing a pet trust
- or you could provide some funds and your dog to a selected caregiver and forgo a pet trust




Here are some links to check out:


http://www.companionpettrust.com/
http://www.pettrustlawblog.com/
http://staceyromberg.com/estate-planning-washington-state/pets-in-estate-planning/
http://www2.nycbar.org/Publications/pub-provforpet.htm
http://shikumalaw.com/pet-trusts/

Comments

Popular Posts