Working with a Blind/Deaf Dog

I recently got the opportunity to volunteer my services to a dog living at an animal sanctuary that is severely visually impaired and deaf.  I've just starting working with him to try to bring him some sort of order and enrichment to his life.  


I'm developing a scent 'bridge'/'marker' for him by using the Manners Minder target stick, taping a cotton pad scented with vanilla. I'm charging the scent by associative learning - simply pairing the scent with treats. I'm also using the target stick as a means to direct him to the treat on the ground. He has some personal space sensitivities so I want to be sure that I don't invade his space and startle him. 


Some of the staff have started stomping their feet twice as a cue for sit. He hasn't learnt this yet but I'm working on it. The sequence would be 1) stomp twice 2) dog sits 3) deliver scented target stick as marker and 4) deliver food reward/ opportunity to play with a small floor mat. He likes to tug and kill shake fabric. 



Comments

Popular Posts