Jacques - Day One

Monday August 16, 2010

Picked up Jacques from HSSV late in the afternoon. Got him home and settled into his own zone. I sectioned off the house to keep things low-key for him. Gunner and Isabella were able to see and hear him but weren't able to socialize right away.  After a few hours I opened up Jacques area to give him more freedom and to meet both my Ridgebacks. Jacques was sooooooo happy to meet Isabella. Gunner is a little more reserved when meeting new dogs but they all got a chance to say 'hello'. 

I decided to give him all the space and time that he needed before even trying to interact with him directly. He found 'his spot' in our TV area - under our sidetable - I gave him a little towel to lay on and he found one of the many deer/moose antleers in the house. He spent the rest of the evening playing and pestering Bella.
He needs a little education about 'self-interruption' during play.

During the day I would have to go up and down the stairs and in-out of my office.  It become very apparent that going down stairs was novel to him.  There were times I had to corner him to carrying him downstairs. He wasn't thrilled with it.

Going to bed was an experience.  I didn't want to invade his space and wanted to give him the choice on where he wanted to be. He has a nice set-up with a crate in the kitchen and had the choice to be with us upstairs.  In our bedroom I have 2 large crates and another one for him. Both Gunner and Bella are sleeping in our bed this week so he had the option. Gunner, Bella and I were all in bed - I was playing some 'spa' music from Pandora Radio since he was used to hearing Through A Dog's Ear at the shelter. I could hear his little feet run back and forth and then about 10 minutes into it - there he was.  Once in our bedroom, I shut the door to contain him with us.  He had the option of 3 crates and anywhere BUT being on our bed. He went immediately to under the bed which was fine. Whatever he felt comfortable with.  Then about 20 minutes into 'sleeping' - he made it up onto the bed which caused Gunner to bark at him. Gunner has some personal space issues and more so when he's resting.  So - I had to get Jacques into his crate.

I managed to get him from out under the bed and with strategic body placement and providing the necessary space - Jacques ran right into his crate. Horse training techniques come in handy for some dog behavior stuff. :)  The rest of the night was peaceful.


Tuesday August 17, 2010

WOW!  he jumped into my lap when I was IM a friend this morning.  I was able to pet him without any stress. He continued to play all day with Isabella and even towards the evening Gunner got into a few play-bows with him.    Another first for him today is he figured out how to go downstairs on his own. Guess what?  He spent the next 15 minutes going up and down.

He has the freedom to go where he wants when he wants. Figured out how to work the dog door. And I found out that if I lay on the ground that I become the best dog toy. We had some really good play sessions today. He still is a little apprehensive with certain of my movements  but otherwise he is doing better and better every day.


Bella tolerates him jumping up on her head - well to a point and then she runs out the dog door for some peace.

Here he is sitting with me in our armchair.








On the landing with Isabella and Gunner








Coming downstairs on his own!







He's pretty happy.









Nap time in my office.

Comments

Popular Posts